Experimental Test Pilot
- 24-Jun-2019 to 15-Jul-2019 (EST)
- 10500 VP Flight Ops & Train
- Grand Prairie, TX, USA
- Full Time
Airbus is an international pioneer in the aerospace industry. We are a leader in designing, manufacturing and delivering aerospace products, services and solutions to customers on a global scale. We aim for a better-connected, safer and more prosperous world.
A commercial aircraft manufacturer, with Space and Defence as well as Helicopters Divisions, Airbus is the largest aeronautics and space company in Europe and a worldwide leader.
Airbus has built on its strong European heritage to become truly international with roughly 180 locations and 12,000 direct suppliers globally. The company has aircraft and helicopter final assembly lines across Asia, Europe and the Americas, and has achieved a more than sixfold order book increase since 2000.
Execute helicopter ground and flight test operations that support AHI engineering, certification, NHC, and MAR objectives. Participate in the acquisition, analysis, and reporting of test data needed to show compliance with applicable commercial and civil certifications standards and to meet customer requirements.
1. Flight Test: 50%
- Execute ground and flight tests that support test requirements derived by the AHI ODA, NHC, MAR, Accident investigation and the AH Group.
- Define test resource requirements to support certification, developmental, and production test activities.
2. Development: 25%
- Participate in development and certification activities in conjunction with the AHI ODA and the AH Group, to include meetings with the Certification Authorities (FAA, EASA, military, etc.) in support of TC and STC programs. Assist in development of Certification plans, safety assessments/hazard analysis, issue papers and other related documentation generated in support of certification/validation activities. Prepare and submit FAA airworthiness forms for STC, major alterations and repair work.
- Participate in Safety Review Boards and Risk Assessment supporting AHI developmental and certification flight tests. Coordinate with the AHI Director of Aviation Safety/Aviation Safety Officer to support AHI’s flight safety program and SMS objectives.
- Provide input to various aviation Authority (FAA, EASA, TCCA, etc.) and industry (GAMA, HAI, AHS, RTCA etc.) working groups that support the development of new certification and technical standards and their associated guidance material.
3. Support: 25%
- Support other flight operations requirement to support customer deliveries and flight demonstrations.
- Retain pilot proficiency for operational and flight test requirements.
- Achieve and maintain status as Flight Test Unit Member on the AHI ODA.
- Achieve and maintain status as a Flight Test Pilot DER with the FAA.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualified Experience / Skills / Training:
- BS, with degree in engineering, math or science.
- Graduate of a recognized Test Pilot program (US Naval Test Pilot School (USNTPS), US Air Force Test Pilot School (USAFTPS), cole du Personnel Navigant d’Essais et de Rception (EPNER), Empire Test Pilot school or National Test Pilot School.
- Graduate degree.
- A minimum of five years flight test experience.
- 100 hours flight time in the preceding 12 months.
- Experience with helicopter performance and handling qualities.
- Experience with helicopter systems integration, systems testing, and man-machine interface
- Experience with Night Vision Goggles /Night Vision Devices Operation.
- Test experience in one or more Airbus Helicopter aircraft models.
- At least 1500 flight hours in turbine helicopters.
- Experience with helicopter production testing.
- FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate, with Helicopter and InstrumentHelicopter Ratings.
- FAA Class-2 Medical Certificate or better.
- FAA ATP Certificate (Rotorcraft).
- FAA CFI
Knowledge, Skills, Demonstrated Capabilities:
- Knowledge of engineering and production flight test process, including aircraft performance, handling qualities, and systems integration.
- Knowledge of FAA certification process and airworthiness standards.
- Strong communication skills (oral, written and presentation).
- Knowledge of French and/or German.
Communication Skills (Spoken, Written, Influencing, Proficiency in Other Languages):
- Ability to communicate clearly and at all levels.
Technical Systems Proficiency:
- Ability to use standard Office software and data base software.
- Ability to learn and use AH Group software products used in data analysis and reduction.
- 25% Domestic and International.
- Authorized to Work in the US
Decision Making, Complexity:
- Requires the ability to make complex decisions that:
- Consider the balance between customer requirements and certification requirements, and
- Require interaction, communication, and feedback with other departments including Engineering and flight operations.
- This position reports to the Chief Pilot
Job Dimensions, Contributions to Success:
- Provide input in the development of budgets (OPEX and CAPEX) to support flight test operations, training and procurement of associated hardware /software.
- Customer relationships (with internal and external customers) are critical to success, in development of strategic plans, coordination of flight with AH Group and with the production facility in MS and with NHC/MAR.
- “Voice of the customer” is critical throughout the life cycle of Fight Test missions-from understanding customer requirements to delivering a quality product that meets certification and safety requirements.
Nature of Contacts:
- Involved Communication on a frequent Basis with internal and external parties.
- Onsite: 60%
- Vision: able to see and read computer screen and other electronic equipment with screens, able to read documents, reports and engineering drawings. Daily.
- Hearing: able to hear to participate in conversations in person and via teleconference or phone and to hear sounds on production floor including safety warnings or alarms. Daily.
- Speaking: able to speak in conversations and meetings, deliver information and participate in communications. Daily.
- Equipment Operation (personal computer, telephone, copies, fax machine, and related office equipment and using electronic identification card to enter building floors and internal doors): able to operate most office and personal electronic equipment and some tools including production tools such as hydraulic lifts. Daily.
- Carrying: able to carry documents, tools, drawings, electronic equipment up to 30lbs/14kgs. Weekly.
- Lifting: able to lift documents, tools, drawings, electronic equipment up to 30lbs/14kgs.Rarely.
- Pushing / Pulling: able to push and pull small office furniture and some equipment and tools. Rarely
- Sitting: able to sit for long periods of time in meetings, working on computer. Daily.
- Standing: able to stand for discussions in offices or on production. Daily.
- Travel: able to travel independently and at short notice. Often.
- Walking (include routine walking such as to a shared printer to retrieve documents): able to walk through office and production areas including uneven surfaces. Daily
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status
As a leader in our field, Airbus Helicopters, Inc. provides relocation assistance for qualified positions and a comprehensive compensation and benefits package.
As a matter of policy, Airbus Helicopters, Inc. does not sponsor visas for US positions unless specified. Only applicants with current work authorization will be considered.
Airbus Helicopters, Inc. does not offer tenured or guaranteed employment. Employment with Airbus is at will, meaning either the company or the employee can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice.
NOTE: Airbus Helicopters, Inc. reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.