Chief Helicopter Maintenance Technician
County of Ventura •
Camarillo, California, USA
The Ventura County Sheriff’s Office has a projected opening for a Chief Helicopter Maintenance Technician. This position is responsible for the supervision of the helicopter maintenance program; and the overall record keeping systems maintained according to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) guidelines.
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Supervises and participates in the inspection, servicing, repair, and overhaul of helicopters and their related systems and components;
- Determines whether repairs need to be performed immediately or may be approved for deferral;
- Supervises the work of Helicopter Maintenance Technicians and Avionics Technician including training, assigning, evaluating and inspecting their work;
- Ensures that records, technical publications, and reports are maintained in accordance with FAA guidelines;
- Stays current and complies with Factory Service Bulletins, FAA Airworthiness Directives, and other technical publications;
- Screens helicopters and parts; searches for and orders parts; travels to vendor sites to screen/obtain helicopter parts; coordinate helicopter purchases through federal channels;
- Maintains spares and consumables; reorders and restocks;
- Maintains and repairs the helicopter and related accessories, including inspection and diagnosis of mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and structural integrity and malfunctions;
- Rebuilds military surplus or damaged civilian aircraft including designing and manufacturing parts, utilizing parts from other helicopters and diverse manufacturers, designing modifications to assist with firefighting, search-and-rescue, medical evacuation, as well as law enforcement duties;
- Performs both ground and in-flight testing of helicopters, systems, and components;
- Evaluates and justifies requests for additional tools and equipment; prepares budget projections;
- Operates specialized shop equipment and tools including lathe, hydraulic press, drill press, grinders, milling machine, saws, welding apparatus, electrical test equipment, hydraulic power supply, and related hydraulic and electrical equipment; and
- Performs other related duties as required.
The ideal candidate will have considerable experience in helicopter maintenance and experience directing and supervising an FAA-approved helicopter maintenance services program. Incumbent will receive 5% certification pay for maintaining a FAA Inspection Authorization Certificate.
Education, Training & Experience:
Considerable experience in helicopter maintenance which has led to the acquisition of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. The required knowledge, skills, and abilities can also be obtained by five (5) or more years of progressively responsible experience in the maintenance of turbine-powered helicopters which has included two (2) years directing and supervising an FAA-approved helicopter maintenance services program.
Necessary Special Requirements:
- Must possess and maintain a FAA Airframe and Power Plant Mechanic’s License issued two years prior to employment date.
- Must be able to obtain an Inspection Authorization Certificate within one year of employment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid California driver license.
- Must be able to obtain a Department of the Interior Mechanic qualification and Department of Agriculture and Forest Service licenses/certificates for specific helicopters.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Through knowledge of: the maintenance and repair of the Bell 204, 205, 206, 212, UH1, UH-60 and any other helicopters the County purchases; gas turbine engines; accessories, and fuel control’ helicopter electrical systems.
- Working knowledge of: helicopter aerodynamics, vibrations, and flight characteristics.
- Considerable ability to: diagnose mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and structural malfunctions; inspect design, fabrication, and maintenance work performed by technicians.
- Working ability to: supervise, evaluate, and train staff; identify maintenance and repair needs; read, understand, interpret, and cross-reference helicopter maintenance manuals, charts, graphs, and blueprints; engineer, fabricate, and install systems; maintain repair records according to FAA guidelines; identify and solve problems; completely strip and rebuild helicopters; maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, vendors and county staff.
- Thoroughly skilled: the operation of specialized shop equipment and tools.
Work is primarily performed in a hanger or inside helicopters. Employees are exposed to mechanical and chemical hazards and must be able to perform in-flight testing of repairs on helicopters. Work requires a wide-range of motion, working in confined spaces, and lifting more than 50 pounds. Incumbents may work under adverse conditions. On a rotating basis, must be available to work standby/on-call and willing/able to respond to emergencies after normal working hours within twenty (20) minutes of initial notification.
Job Ident #:
(Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC)
County of Ventura
County of Ventura Government Center
800 S. Victoria Ave. # 1970
Ventura, California 93009 USA
The goal of the Human Resources Division of the Ventura County Executive Office is to attract, develop and maintain a well qualified and effective workforce. We provide personnel services to County agencies, employees and applicants, including recruitment…
See Web Site
204, 205, 206, 212, UH1, UH-60
CV/RÉSUMÉ EDITING SERVICE
Apply for this job with a great CV/résumé.
Click for info and prices.
|Advertisement by Helikonsult|