Helicopter Line Pilot – Full and Part Time
Geisinger Health System •
State College, Pennsylvania, USA
Responsible for the safe and efficient conduct of a flight assignment related to the conveyance of patients in need of emergency services. The pilot-in-command and is authorized to process a flight assignment received from the Life Flight Communications Center and determines whether to accept or decline a flight assignment based on weather conditions or other factors that may impact the safety of flight.
Also available in Montoursville & Danville
- Plans flight assignments and obtains briefing information regarding purpose of the flight, weather, operating procedures and special instructions.
- Conducts a start of shift briefing with the assigned medical, communications and ground personnel.
- Ensures that the aircraft is prepared pre-flight per the General Operating Manual; is inspected, loaded, equipped, fueled and staffed for a flight assignment.
- Supervises and assists loading and distribution of cargo and passengers and determines that weight and balance is within prescribed limitations per the utilized method of aircraft weight and balance or the approved rotorcraft flight manual.
- Ensures cargo is properly secured and emergency equipment are aboard.
- Files, activates and closes the flight plans.
- Ensures proper completion of flight logs, records and maintenance forms.
- Checks aircraft discrepancy log prior to flight to ensure all discrepancies have been corrected or properly deferred prior to a flight assignment.
- Logs all mechanical discrepancies as they occur and informs maintenance personnel.
- Notifies the Life Flight Communications Center of the service status of the aircraft.
- Participates in post-flight debriefings.
- Keeps navigation charts current and up to date.
- Maintains proficiency as Pilot-in-Command and proficiency in SPIFR operations.
Certifications and Licenses:
- FAA Commercial Pilot – Rotorcraft Instrument
- Valid Driver’s License
- Airline Transport Pilot Preferred
- 1700 Total Flight hours
- Minimum of 1500 Helicopter
- 1000 Hours PIC time
- 1000 Hours Turbine engine
- 500 Hours Multi-engine
- 100 Hours Night unaided
- 50 Hours NVG experience preferred
- Minimum 75 Hours actual or simulated Instrument time with 50 Hours in actual flight
Works in a patient care environment in and around aircraft and is exposed to possible infectious diseases and chemical toxins. Position may require sitting for long periods of time in a helicopter or in an office environment. Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds. Exposed to non-conventional motion, noise, vibration, jet fumes, and extreme temperatures. Working conditions in or near aircraft and/or an aircraft hangar environment on a daily basis and may be exposed to loud aircraft noise, fumes, gases, odors, dust particles, and mechanical and electrical hazards. Travel may be required. Employee may not exceed 275lbs in weight in flight gear. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)- (Required)
Minimum of 1 year-Related work experience (Preferred)
Certification(s) and License(s):
Certified Airline Transport Pilot – Default Issuing Body, Helicopter Instrument Training License (IFR) – Default Issuing Body, Valid Driver’s License – Default Issuing Body
Interpersonal Skills, Leads Others
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
- KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
- EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
- LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
- INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
- SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners. Perhaps just as important, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality.
*Does not qualify for J-1 waiver. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
Job Ident #:
(Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC)
Geisinger Health System
100 North Academy Avenue
Danville, Pennsylvania 17822 USA
For over a century, Geisinger has created easy access to healthcare for our friends and neighbors in Pennsylvania. Living and working here, you’ll join one of our tight-knit communities, and experience a quality of life you can’t get elsewhere. You’l…