Chief Aviation Engineer
This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating Division.
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
The closing date is on 16.10.2023. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to [Email removed. See source link below. /Admin].
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: [Removed. See source link below. /Admin]
Operating Division : Transnet NPA
Position Title : Chief Aviation Engineer
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Aviation
Location : Durban
Reporting To : Senior Manager – Aviation
Grade Level : F
Reference Number : 10298017
Responsible for overall aviation maintenance operations in the Durban and Richards Bay and ensure that TNPA aircraft operations are undertaken efficiently in support of TNPA’s pilotage service. Lead a team of aviation maintenance personnel in the port of operation (Durban & Richards Bay) to ensure that high standards of aviation maintenance operations and safety are maintained at all times. Build working relationships with regulatory authorities such as the South African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA), South African Maritime Safety Authority (SAMSA) and the Department of Transport (DoT) to ensure that all maintenance activities are in full compliance with applicable requirements.
- Develop aircraft maintenance plans and technical programs for efficient and safe aviation maintenance operations that comply with regulatory requirements and TNPA processes and procedures.
- Manage programs for the maintenance team that include on-boarding, leadership development, proficiency testing (as relevant) and recurrent and technical training.
- Ensure the maintenance team participates effectively in the safety risk identification and management system.
- Identify and deploy industry best practices across all aspects of aviation maintenance operations.
- Direct and control all projects related to the proper licensing of aviation maintenance personnel, operational facilities,
TNPA aircraft and endorsement of junior staff experience logbooks and training schedules.
- Maintain the highest technical standards for efficient service delivery in pursuit of excellence in all business undertakings.
- Set and manage annual maintenance operating budgets and financial forecasts.
- Establish and maintain relationships with relevant company technical personnel.
- Develop, direct and implement maintenance corrective and improvement action plans relevant to the base of operation and the department as necessary.
- Manage the hangar facility, including support contracts.
- Oversee the monthly reporting system in the base of operation, analyse threats and develop intervention strategies.
- Establish constructive networks with customers and stakeholders; hold meetings to discuss areas of cooperation, continuous improvement and conflict avoidance as necessary.
- Conduct research applicable to the technical maintenance model in the quest for continuous improvement, risk mitigation and growth.
- Monitor and manage expenditure and ensure that spending occurs within budget restrictions.
- Oversee and control all technical training requirements and ensure execution in accordance with organisational objectives.
- Track and monitor technical staff performance in accordance with the performance management system.
- Determine human resources / teams’ requirements, permanent and contractors in accordance with aircraft maintenance requirements and expected results.
- Ensure that human resources are managed in accordance with policies and procedures taking into account effective diversity management.
- Develop and implement maintenance policies and procedures to ensure the safe, efficient and cost effective operation of the maintenance unit.
- Ensure the highest quality of aircraft engine, airframe and avionics maintenance is attained at all times.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Hold an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer’s license (AME), applicable to AW109 series helicopters;
- 8 years’ relevant work experience in Aviation Maintenance operations;
- Relevant Degree/National Diploma in Business Operations, Technical or Management disciplines will be an added advantage.
- Aviation rules and safety guidelines;
- Aircraft operation procedures & systems;
- Public safety & security;
- Transportation systems & procedures;
- Port rules;
- Customer & personal service;
- English language proficiency;
- Computers & electronic applications;
- Flight theory & engineering practices;
- People & asset management;
- Financial management;
- Project Management.
- Advance communication
- Advanced time management
- Quick judgement & decision making
- Operational control
- Active listening
- Advance interpersonal interactions.
- Social & economic perceptiveness
- Customer orientation.
- Change management.
- Decision making
- Diversity management
- Conflict management
- Team building & motivation
- Networking & strategic